Monday, March 30, 2009

baker-crappa

Ok so ever since I saw This post from Bakerella's blog, I have been dying to try and make this delicious looking cake!!!
What's not to love? layers and layers of delicious cake smothered in chocolate!! yummy! So for Tina's birthday I decided i was going to attempt to make one. Can't be that hard....right??

wrong.

It was a disaster.  My cake layers were really uneven so instead of sitting nice and flat and making a nice squared off cake it was a little too rounded, like a muffin. I probably could have made it look not too bad, if i hadn't burned the icing that was supposed to go in-between the layers. So i tried to make another batch, which also burned. Then i didn't have time to try again, so i had to just use it. It was still a little warm, but we were late, and i didn't have a choice.  What happens when you try to stack thin little pancake style pieces of cake with warm runny icing you ask??
well.....they slide....and slide and the whole cake slides....and starts to fall over. so you try to save it by sticking skewers in the top but the cake starts to tear and fall apart. 

 By this time i am crying. I have been working on this cake for over 3 hours. I decided to just ice the rest and who cares. If we didn't leave we would miss dinner.  

SO this was the finished product.....


those are not candles....but skewers, only thing saving it from being a big pile of goo.
beautiful isn't it.  The worst part was because the filling was burnt, it didn't just look terrible....it tasted worse.   at least everyone had a good laugh! :)

I have vowed i am going to try again and redeem myself. but for now i am not baking for a while.



16 comments:

Suz said...

this is why i don't bake!!!! But i will be a guinea pig and try your next one...its the least i could do! :)

Francis Family said...

Oh I saw that cake on her blog and thought it would be so fun too! But ya I knew it was out of my element!! Good for you for trying it, and it gave me a good laugh. Now I KNOW I won't try it! I'm attempting a fondant cake for Kyla's bday this weekend, lets pray I have better luck than you did! lol

Shelley said...

It's a cute floppy cake :) You ARE very brave for attempting - at least you get props for that! I'm a cupcake kind of girl myself...

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

Dear Jennie:
I laughed my pants off - at your expense?! Sorry, but it was so funny! It always looks so EASY when they do it right? It's never the same!

kelsey said...

ha. i just laughed soooo hard. sorry, but it's funny. i also saw that cake, and though . . . HARD WORK! maybe i'll attempt it one day, but not soon!

Kimberly said...

That's a funny story Jennie - sorry it didn't turn out how you wanted, but I think you're awesome just for trying. I would never dare to try a cake that hard.

Becky said...

Heeheehee! Thanks for the good laugh. That looks like a very tough cake to make! Check out Kristin's blog and her egg story today. You guys would get along great. ;-) Can't wait to see you soon!

Nate, Marie & Lilly said...

hahaha, you're much to ambitious. I stick with cupcakes or cake mixes. I'm not ambitious at all and I know that I can cake decorate. Good luck on your next try.

Nate, Marie & Lilly said...

that's suppose to say CAN'T Cake decorate. I haven't got an artistic bone in my body

lynz said...

a laugh is right! that's awesome jennie :) i mean it's awesome that you even attempted it and then that you stayed with it after 3 hours and burnt icing, and i'm sure the little sis loved it!! haha

broberts said...

good for you for attempting such a cake...and for not only admitting that it went wrong, but sharing it with the world:)

nichole said...

It's funny, I have been meaning to check out the blog site you gave me on the paper that's in my purse since I saw you last, but just haven't gotten around to it. I was reading a friends blog, which had a comment from someone I thought I might know. I checked out her blog and saw your name on her comments. A round about way of finding your blog, but at least I finally checked it out. Your pictures and bows are so stink'n cute! I love the logo of your company.

Jacklyn said...

tHAT IS halarious, i have had so many moments like that I can't even tell you. But hey it hakes a fun story right

Jacklyn said...

I mean it Makes a fun story... don't type with kids on your lap

{d + l + p} said...

i'm so sorry i'm laughing so hard! it was probably a fake- like made of wax or something. those jerks. :)

Lyndsay said...

Jennie your so funny and I'm sorry about the cake I'd have never even tried because I can tell that's out of my scope of abilities. Love all Chloe's pictures she's darling!!!